Tired with eating the usual salads day after day? We feel you. That’s why we came up with healthy salad ideas for each day of the week. And after that we made it much better by tossing in this superfood-packed recipe.
First, there’s kale, a dietary powerhouse thanks to high quantities of iron, fiber, calcium, and vitamins A, C, and K. While the green can turn some people off faster than Usain Bolt can run 100 meters, there’s a secret: Those who don’t like it might just feel that way since they ate kale that was too difficult. The trick to making it more tender – and, in turn, more scrumptious – is massaging it for a couple of minutes with an easy oil and vinegar dressing, as that mellows the bitterness a substantial amount.
This superfood salad also has apples, a seasonal star due to its status as an antioxidant- and fiber-rich fruit. Granny Smiths work particularly well with this dish, but you can use whatever variety fits your fancy.
Then comes the enjoyable part: pistachio hemp clusters! They’re made by dry-roasting heart-healthy pistachios with hemp hearts, which are loaded with necessary fats. You combine that duo with honey and cinnamon, and all of an abrupt you’re keeping a cluster filled with deliciousness. Toss ’em in your salad and all of an abrupt you have a lunch that’s no place near sad status.
Kale & Apple Salad with Pistachio Hemp Clusters.
Makes: 2-4 portions.
– 1 bunch of kale (around 8 cups when carefully chopped).
– 1 big Granny Smith apple.
– 1/2 cup shelled pistachios.
– 3 tablespoons hemp hearts.
– 2 ounces fell apart feta cheese.
– 1/4 cup additional virgin olive oil.
– Juice from 1/2 lemon.
– 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar.
– 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons honey.
– 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
– 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt + more to taste.
1. To make the pistachio hemp clusters, first cover a plate with parchment paper. Next, approximately chop the pistachios. Place them in a small pan over medium-low heat. Include in the hemp hearts, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Dry roast for 5 minutes, tossing a couple of times.
2. Include 2 tablespoons of the honey into the saucepan, stirring to uniformly integrate.
3. Get rid of the mix from heat and transfer to the parchment paper-lined plate. Press the mixture into the plate with a spoon or your hands. Enable it to cool while you prep the remainder of the salad.
4. Wash the kale and remove its tough stems. Thinly slice the kale, and place it in a big bowl.
5. Make the dressing by squeezing the lemon juice into a little bowl. Include in the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, remaining honey, and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Whisk together.
6. Pour the dressing on top of the kale. Begin rubbing the kale by grabbing a lot in your hand at a time, squeezing and rubbing it together. Continue to massage the kale for about 5 minutes.
7. Carefully dice the apple and add to the kale bowl. Include in the crumbled feta cheese.
8. When the hemp/pistachio mix has cooled, break it off of the plate into clusters, and throw them in the salad. Include sea salt to taste.
9. Toss whatever together and enjoy.