If you haven’t heard about this delicious cruciferous vegetable, now is the time to learn about its many health benefits due to its cancer preventive and antioxidant properties.
Health Benefits of Brussel Sprouts:
– Antioxidant Properties – Brussel sprouts include vitamin antioxidants like vitamin C and A, flavonoid antioxidants such as isorhamnetin, kaempferol, and quercetin. This group of antioxidants help the cells in the body exposed to oxidative damage, most often because of oxygen-containing molecules which are excessively reactive.
– Improve Cardiovascular Health – Many recent studies have shown that cruciferous vegetables such as Brussel sprouts significantly reduce the risk of many cardiovascular problems such as such as ischemic heart disease, atherosclerosis and heart attack.
– Anti-inflammatory support – They can help prevent chronic by providing a variety of nutritional benefits excessive inflammation. One of these nutrients is glucosinolates. These nutrients help regulate the inflammatory / anti-inflammatory system of your body and stem inflammation.
– Digestive Support – For every cup of brussel sprouts there is about 4 grams of fiber. This makes them a great choice for digestive system support. They also make sulforaphane, which aids in protecting your stomach lining by blocking bacterial overgrowth.
After learning some of the health benefits from this amazing cruciferous vegetable, we present you a recipe to enjoy these delicious Brussel sprouts.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
– 1,5 pounds Brussels sprouts with yellow leaves removed and trimmed ends
– 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, ghee or melted grass fed butter
– 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
– Half a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1. Turn your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place all of the ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag, seal it, and then shake well so that the Brussel sprouts are well coated. After that, pour the contents out onto a baking sheet and place them into the oven.
3. Shake the pan every five to seven minutes, and cook for about 20 to 45 minutes. If you notice they start to burn, low the heat. Fully cooked Brussel sprouts have dark brown to black color. Serve right after you get them out of the oven. Add more salt or pepper to taste.
This is one easy way to consume this delicious and healthy vegetable, but if you don’t like this recipe, you can easily find more ways to cook and consume them.