What is coconut water kefir?
It is a naturally fizzy and mildly sweet drink that is created when the grains (not actual grains but a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) interact with the natural sugars in the water to create probiotics and enzymes. Coconut water kefir is basically fermented coconut water. Vitamin and mineral content of coconut water includes beta carotene, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Niacin, pantothenic acid, folates and vitamins A,B6, C, E and K. What’s more important and why it’s considered better than regular kefir is the fact it doesn’t contain the problematic substances that regular dairy has such as casein and lactose. This just means that your body will process these probiotic benefits better. There are many important benefits of coconut kefir including relief from disease as well as sugar cravings. Shiny hair, clear skin, bright eyes and a flat abdomen are a few more bennies.
Dairy is acid forming and not a lot of people can handle it. Additionally, the main minerals or electrolytes in coconut water are the same as those found in human blood.
COCONUT WATER KEFIR
1/2 cup water kefir grains
3 cups coconut water
1. First you should put your kefir grains in a quart jar or similarly sized container.
2. Then pour the coconut water into the jar.
3. Cover the jar and let it sit for 48 hours (not longer).
4. Using a non-metallic, fine mesh strainer, pour the culture liquid into a clean jar or storage container.
5. Wash the grains in filtered water and put them in a clean jar. Repeat the process.
You have the option of doing a secondary fermentation on the finished coconut kefir. It is recommended by Dom, the Kefir King, for increasing nutritional content and it’s a great way to incorporate bubbles and other flavors. If you want to do that, just keep the vessel you strained your kefir into at room temperature for another 24 hours. You can add a variety of fruits or juices (a few slices of apple or pear, 3-5 pieces of dried fruit, or a half cup of the fruit juice of your choice are all great options).
Health Benefits of coconut water kefir
– Aids in digestion
– Enhances hydration
– Has a cleansing effect on the endocrine system
– Eases PMS
– Increases energy
– Clears the skin
– More efficient metabolism
– Stops sugar cravings
– Strengthens the immune system
– Destroys pathogenic yeasts in the body
– Improves vision
– Great source of dietary minerals such as natural sodium, chloride, and potassium
The ideally would be to consume coconut water kefir by adding it to smoothies in the morning. If you want, you can also add it to other health drinks such as freshly squeezed orange juice. For best results its recommended drinking it every day. It will significantly increase your energy and will improve your overall health!