Many people want to have long and shiny hair, especially women, for whom having long, thick, and lustrous locks is a cherished desire. Therefore this makes the problems of thinning hair or hair loss very upsetting for some people, both for women and men.
Nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalance, stress, use of improper hairstyles, heating tools, chemical-laden hair products, genetics, and various other reasons are the most frequent causes of hair loss.
But, don’t worry, certain herbs and homemade remedies can help nourish your hair and grow faster. These remedies will prove to be highly effective if you follow them regularly for at least a month.
Here we present the top 10 home remedies for hair growth:
1. Scalp Massage and Hot Oil Treatment
Massaging promotes blood flow to the scalp, which in turn stimulates the hair follicles. You only need to do it for about five minutes daily to see results. Also, you can heat some coconut or olive oil in a microwave or a double-boiler. Heating it will help it penetrate the hair shaft easily and also reduce dandruff.
Put the hot oil on your hair and comb it through to ensure even distribution and reduce breakage during shampooing. Wear a plastic cap or wrap a warm towel around your head (use a hair dryer to heat the towel) and leave it on for at least half an hour before shampooing.
This is one of the most popular tricks to promote faster hair growth. Just flip your hair upside down by flipping your head over for two to four minutes daily. It is believed to work by improving circulation.
Rosemary is excellent for hair growth because it stimulates the hair follicles. It also adds luster to your locks and it can help darken your hair. The herb has antioxidant properties that boost hair growth. In addition, the sulfur and silica content in rosemary helps reverse hair loss.
Mix two drops of rosemary essential oil in two tablespoons of a base oil such as olive, coconut, jojoba, almond or avocado oil. Apply it on your hair and massage the scalp. Leave it on for at least half an hour and then shampoo your hair as usual.
You can also use rosemary water as a final hair rinse. To prepare it, steep two or three rosemary sprigs in two cups of hot water for about five minutes. If you have the dried form of the herb, boil a handful of it in water. Allow it to cool and then strain the infusion. Rinse your hair with it after shampooing.
If you want you can use both these remedies several times a week.
3. Castor oil
Being rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, especially omega-9 fatty acids, castor oil promotes hair growth naturally, moisturizes your hair, adds volume, prevents frizzing, and also fights scalp infections.
– As this oil is quite viscous, mix the castor oil with an equal amount of coconut, olive, or almond oil. Massage your scalp with it and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes. Then shampoo your hair. If it is difficult to remove, use a clarifying shampoo.
– You can also add essential oils, especially rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, or thyme oil, to the castor oil and then put it in your hair.
Eggs are highly beneficial for faster hair growth because they are packed with protein and also contain iron, sulfur, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium. You can use an egg hair mask at least once a month.
– Whisk two egg yolks and mix in two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply the mixture on your scalp and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it out with cold water and then shampoo your hair as usual.
– Alternatively, mix one egg and one-quarter cup each of plain yogurt and mayonnaise in a blender. Apply this hair mask and cover your hair with a shower cap. Leave it on for at least half an hour before rinsing it out.
5. Indian Gooseberry
You can apply coconut oil infused with Indian gooseberry, or amla, to encourage hair growth. It will help greatly with premature graying as well.
1. First you should heat some coconut oil in a pan and cook dried amla pieces in it until they are charred. Strain and cool the oil.
2. Then, massage your hair and scalp with it. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
3. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
4. Do this on a weekly basis in order to get positive results.
If you want you can apply a mixture of one tablespoon each of dried Indian gooseberry powder and lemon juice. Simply applying fresh amla juice is also useful.
6. Lemon Juice
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folic acid, and other nutrients. Plus, they are loaded with antioxidants. In addition to hair growth, lemon juice promotes smooth, shiny, dandruff-free hair. When applied on the scalp, it stimulates circulation and hence prevents hair loss. Do not use lemon juice in excess though, as it can lighten your hair color over time.
1. First, mix one part lemon juice and two parts of coconut or olive oil.
2. Them apply it on your hair and scalp and leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Wash it out and then shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
4. If you want to get positive results you should repeat once or twice a week.
7. Beetroot Juice
Beetroot juice can help prevent hair loss. This amazing vegetable can be juiced in a juicer or simply run in a blender and then pressed through a strainer. It is packed with protein, carotenoids,vitamins B and C, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and silica. To facilitate hair growth, drink beetroot juice regularly.
Beetroot juice is a good source of potassium, which is why ingesting it can prevent hair loss and promote hair growth. You can also combine it with juices of other vegetables such as cucumbers, carrots, coriander, lettuce, or others that you like. For example, you can prepare a healthy drink by blending together half a beet, half a cucumber, and five carrots. Strain it, if needed, and drink the juice.
Alfalfa juice extracted from alfalfa sprouts is also beneficial for hair growth because it is rich in vitamins A, B-complex, and E, as well as calcium, magnesium, folic acid, and zinc.
Fenugreek, or methi, is considered good for hair growth, for which not many people have heard of, and is also rich in protein. Plus, it contains lecithin that strengthens and moisturizes your hair.
1. First you should soak a cup of fenugreek seeds in water overnight, or at least for four hours.
2. Then, take them out of the water and grind them into a paste.
3. Apply coconut oil on your hair, followed by the paste. Let it sit for at least an hour before rinsing it out and shampooing your hair.
4. In order to get positive results repeat the process two or three times a week.
9. Fish Oil
Fish oils are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that not only promote smooth, shiny hair, but also encourage healthy hair growth. Oftentimes, a deficiency of these fatty acids impedes hair growth.
Take fish oil supplements daily for at least a month. If you just cannot stand the smell of fish oils, consider taking flaxseed oil. You can also include flax seeds in your diet.
10. Coconut Milk
You probably know that coconut milk contains vitamins B, C, and E, as well as calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, and numerous other nutrients. It nourishes your hair, promotes hair growth, and prevents hair loss. You can simply include fresh coconut milk in your diet, or try one of these remedies.
– Massage your scalp with coconut milk, leave it on for at least half an hour and then wash it out with lukewarm water. Do this two to four times a month.
– Apply a combination of one-quarter cup each of coconut milk, wheat germ oil, and aloe vera gel. All these ingredients encourage hair growth, and aloe vera contains an enzyme that decreases hair loss.
– Mix coconut milk with avocado pulp, olive oil, and a little honey to make a nourishing hair mask.
Besides these natural cures, diet plays an important role in healthy hair growth. So, enjoy fresh and nutritious foods in your diet, particularly green leafy vegetables and dairy products as protein and B vitamins are nourishing for your hair.
Maintain healthy hair by following a good hair care routine and using hair products that are suitable for your hair type. Plus, protect your tresses from sun damage and avoid the use of heat styling products.
You should consult your doctor for proper treatment of the underlying cause if you are experiencing hair problems due to a medical condition or medications.